Re: [Amps] HV SAFETY QUESTION

To: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV SAFETY QUESTION
From: "COLIN LAMB" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:42:40 -0800
"Colin = Was the HV on when you were zapped, or were you tossed
across the room by the stored charge?"

Hi Rich:

Either age or the shock has faded my memory as to whether the high voltage
was on, but I believe the high voltage was on.  It was a rack mount open
power supply on my desk (former FAA 1500 volt at 1 amp supply).  It did
have a bleeder and I am sure I would have waited until the voltage had bled
down if it was off.  So, that means it was probably on and the touching was
unintentional.

It touched the back of my hand to the exposed capacitor and it literally
picked me up and threw me about 12 feet across a room and knocked two
sliding doors on my closet off their track.  I was never unconscious and
ended up sitting on the floor somewhat dazed.  I decided that it should not
happen again, and that was 40 years ago.  So far, so good.  There was no
marks on my body for the experience.  I do not recall what part of my body
was grounded.

As to whether I would have experienced such a jolt from a stored charge,
with the high voltage off, I assure you I will never find out.  Perhaps one
of our members will be willing to experiment a bit.

73,  Colin  K7FM