Re: [Amps] HV SAFETY QUESTION

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV SAFETY QUESTION
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:42:04 -0800
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:47:22 -0500, David A. Pruett wrote:

>I would suggest that a safer approach is to have the metering circuit
>separate with it's own string of resistors.  This way, if the bleeders
>open, the metering current will still discharge the filter capacitors.  It
>*MAY* take a while (depending on the impedance of your HV meter circuit)
>but it will discharge.  This approach also has the safety advantage that
>the HV meter still works if the bleeder opens.

It also helps to actually watch the HV meter during turn-on and
turn-off.  My attitude is anytime it says zero AND I haven't watched it
decay from normal down to zero, it may be lying to me.  When I see it
slowly decay the same way it always does, I can be almost certain the HV
really is zero.

And then I use a shorting stick anyway, just to be sure.

--
Bill, W6WRT