Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 B- Resistor

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 B- Resistor
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 06:05:11 -0800
**  GLOBAR-KANTHAL's Type SP resistors are superior to garden-variety
wirewound resistors for glitch service.  (phone order # 716 286 7610)

>While I was in the process of installing a new bandswitch
>in our club's Alpha 78, I noticed that the plate overcurrent
>shunt resistor R111 was cracked into two pieces, and
>that the G-10 PWB underneath this resistor was burnt
>pretty badly. It looks as if the resistor was running too
>hot which in turned slowly cooked all the epoxy resin in
>the G-10 laminate. When I scrapped away the soot, all
>that remained was the criss-cross pattern of the fiberglass
>layup weave.
>
>In any case, I don't think this was a "big-bang" kind of
>failure.

**  Amplifiers with tubes that utilize tubes with gold-plated grids
usually don't go bang because a parasite that might induce a stentorian
HV-chassis discharge in air in TL-922s, SB-220s, et cetera is typically
replaced by a discharge inside the envelope through the gold meltballs
that stuck to the anode-grid insulator during the parasitic oscillation.
[ref:   http://www.somis.org/8877.gs2.JPEG ]

>The resistor was not blackened at all. Instead
>the resistor's ceramic form material is "crazed"
>indicating that was overheated.

**  Crazing is typical of a sudden overload.