Re: [Amps] Re: Amps Digest, Vol 13, Issue 52

To: K3vw@aol.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Amps Digest, Vol 13, Issue 52
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:29:45 -0500
I don't think a 3-500Z chimney will work with the 3CX1200A7. The *sockets* are the same, but the chimneys aren't. Even Eimac recomments a different chimney part number use with the 3CX1200.

I would be very leery of using Coleman lantern chimneys with the 3CX1200. The Coleman chimneys I have (acquired along with a pair of 4-400As) are essentially just glass cylinders, with no reduction in diameter at the top to direct air at the plate seal. I suspect these work OK with glass tubes by directing the air past the major diameter of the envelope, although the plate seals will be left without direct cooling. In the case of the 3CX1200, the chimney is there to force air through the cooling fins. The Coleman chimneys won't do that very well at all.

There may be different Coleman chimneys - I'm just relating what I've seen.

Scrimping on chimneys seems to be poor economy to me when you consider the price of tubes.

Dave/K8CC