Re: [Amps] HV SAFETY QUESTION

To: "Steve Eldridge" <g8izy@eurobell.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV SAFETY QUESTION
From: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:33:05 +0000
The question was asked

> Does anyone know of a case where the stored charge on the filter C
> proved to be deadly?

Not as such. The story I was told from someone who worked at the factory,
that a large 275kV transformer ( 100+tons) was tested and the insulation
test left a charge on one of the windings. A cleaner trying to be more
conscientious than usual (we are talking 40 years ago!) managed to touch
the wrong point adn was killed, although whether that was by electrocution
or being thrown across the room wasn't clear.

I was told that the transformer in question never entered service, being
the one concerned in the Hixon railway crash of 1967.

We certainly had a Hewlett Packard low voltage DC power supply when I was
at KW Electronics where unplugging from the mains after switching off could
get you a nasty jolt from the pins of the mains plug, depending exactly
where in the cycle the plug parted company from the socket. Of course, if
you unplugged it while it was switched on, there wasn't a problem.

73

Peter G3RZP