Re: [Amps] tube cooling

To: "ROBERT MARSTON" <rmarston@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] tube cooling
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:25:52 -0600
K1TA:

>the critical points that need to be met when cooling a tube
>is to keep both the plate and cathode-heater seals below
>their maximum ratings.

Thanks Bob.  Another respondent stated that as long as you move the
specified amount of air through in the way in which it is intended to flow
it doesn't matter whether you're pushing or pulling the air.

In a broad sense, the manufacturer intends the air to flow past the base, so
as long as all the air starts below the tube, goes through or past the base
and exits past the anode, you're doing it right, er, right?

Let me ask my question another way.  I have an Alpha 86 which is the loudest
thing in my shack.  If I could figure out how to move the same amount of air
through the tubes but in a quieter way, I would do that, but I'm looking at
extracting the air out the top of the amp, as long as the airflow remains
consistent with the way it works currently.  I believe the chimneys/ducts
inside there pretty much limit the air to going where it's supposed to.

Does anyone have any thoughts on quieting an Alpha 86?

Mark, N5OT