Re: [Amps] Thanks for the 3CX2500F3 Info

To: "Ronald Lumachi" <w2cqm@juno.com>, " AMPS" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Thanks for the 3CX2500F3 Info
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:06:04 -0800

>Many thanks to the knowledgeable guys out there who graciously
>contributed information in response to my query about the Svetlana
>3CX2500F3 in a typical grounded grid  linear amateur radio amplifier
>application. The response consensus suggests the following:
>        a. poor amplification factor negates the choice of this tube in
>the planned format
>        b. makes a better shop heater than a tube because of the high
>filament current (51amps)
>        c. tube is expensive to replace and few are available on the
>surplus market in the event someone                 would consider
>replicating the project.
>Glad I asked! Fortunately, I planned this deck with "zippers" so swinging
>over to another tube choice  would be no big deal. I have 4 Russian
>GS35B's hanging around that I guess I could try. My first choice is the
>Eimac 8877. Have a few of those  but thought it was time for a change.
>It's a bit boring doing the same thing all the time. Best 73's Ron
>W2CQM/3

**  For a fun project, why not try the 8171in ultra-linear Class A @
1400w out ?  It's easy to cool, easy to drive, has plenty of emission,
doesn't make x-rays, and if push comes to shove, you can run it in AB1and
make more suds by simply pumping up the mic gain.  8171s typically go for
under $300 on eBay, which isn't bad for a tube that does up to 22k-hours
between rebuilds and is virtually indestructable by intermittent VHF
parasitic oscillations..

cheers, Ron