[Amps] Choosing a first amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Choosing a first amp
From: "Brad Hedges" <bhedges@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:30:42 -0500
Hello to all,

I have decided to get a linear, and since I can't afford an Alpha 87 I'm
looking for used. What are some recommendations for a used tube-final amp,
KW or better; doesn't need to be full legal limit, but would take one; that
will work well, reliably, and easily with my new and don't-want-to-ruin-it
FT-1000?

I am mostly thinking SB-220 or Ameritron 811H/80B, but other than referring
to the eHam reviews, what advice can you folks give me? I am interested in
DX and mid-level contesting. That is, not quite a complete weekend, but
about 24 hours of a 48 hour contest, 1000+ QSO's type of contesting.

Thanks,

Brad
K0BHC