Re: [Amps] 3CX1500D7

To: Ed Briggs <edbriggs@optonline.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX1500D7
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:05:55 -0500
At 06:44 AM 3/20/04, Ed Briggs wrote:
I wonder what the market is like for this device. Would Ham OEMs find this
an attractive component when the majority have turned to 4x800?  I realize
they could eliminate the screen ps and various protective circuits which all
contribute to the 'cost of goods' but does that compensate for the higher
tube price and filament requirements.

Eimac (currently) has this tube listed in the Ham section but not in the
other (broadcast, communications) sections. I wonder if this is an
oversight, or really signifies the intended market.

Seems to me that if it really is an overgrown 3CX1200, there are a couple of major advantages -- the robust grid (no need for a grid trip) and the instant-on filament -- no more 3 minute wait.

It would be interesting to know if the drive requirements are such that it can be driven to the legal limit by a 100-watt exciter, because I understand the 1200 is a bit marginal at this level.

73, Pete N4ZR
2671 calls now in the
World HF Contest Station Database
at www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm