Re: [Amps] insulation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] insulation
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:23:30 +0000
John T. M. Lyles wrote:
G10 will melt down into an awful stinkin' and burnin' mess when heated in high Rf fields. I rarely use it anymore, except for PW applications. It is certainly a big step above Delrin acetals or nylons. Have settled on several wonder materials like:
Rexolite (crosslinked polystyrene) rod and sheet
Polyetherimide (ULTEM* 2300) with 30% glass, also known as Tempalux*
Polysulfone (UDEL*), also known as Thermalux*
G7 (silicone resin reinforced glass)

All more expensive, but if you want the highest Q and no heating, they are worth it. These are all high temperature engineered plastics. If you are concentrating E field flux in the dielectric, even with a kW, G10 will heat up. Good old UHMW (ulta high molecular weight) polypropylene and polyethyline made good insulators but have low glass transisition temperatures and will soften and dimensionally change with >heat.

Your local plastics supplier has them. Pricewise, the first two are about $1000 for a square foot of 1 inch thick material! The rod stock is much cheaper, and for smaller coils it is more so. The G7 is more difficult to machine or turn on a lathe than G10 due to the lamination layers. But it is excellent material structurally as well as RF'ly.

Cheers
John
K5PRO

Rich AG6K said:
 I bought 50-lbs of porcelain clay and I tried making porcelain
pottery.  The shrinkage factor is about double ordinary stoneware clay,
and porcelain clay is hellish to work with.  My advice is use G-10
fiberglass-epoxy for insulating.  It's good around RF, strong, and easily
drilled/machined.?

My YL has a ceramics business, and I started thinking about trying to
>manufacture my own ceramic (porcelain) insulators. Has anyone tried this?

The difference between John and the rest of us is that all John's RF fields are guaranteed to be "high"!

For the rest of us, even in our QRO amps there are many locations where RF fields are actually quite low... but also places in "driver-power" gear where the fields can be high enough to surprise us.

I read here that Delrin pillars are used to support the tank coils in some Alpha amps. If Delrin is OK for that application, the reason must be because there actually isn't enough RF field inside the pillars to cause significant heating. And once you know it's going to be OK, Delrin becomes an excellent choice because it's so nice to machine and fabricate.

The opposite example is that I once used Delrin for the PA tuning shaft in a little 6522 2m transmitter. The capacitor rotor was *supposed* to be at RF ground, and that TX couldn't have been putting out more than 25W, tops - but the Delrin melted in seconds. Wrong place, I guess.

Coming back to ceramics, some grades are not especially low-loss, and suffer more RF heating than many modern plastics - more even than Delrin and the equally despised PVC. Ceramics get away with it because they can also handle high temperatures. At one time, ceramics were about the *only* materials with that particular combination of properties... but that isn't true any more.

Another material that's often overlooked is glass. If you know of a technical glass shop that carries tubing stock (which will be Pyrex) you have a very good source of choke formers, mounting pillars and even custom tube chimneys.

For formers and pillars, simply cut the tubing to length and epoxy a brass nut into one or both ends... which once again shows that even a mediocre RF material like epoxy can be used, if it's not subjected to large field gradients through itself.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK