Re: [Amps] 4000 Watts on a SB-220?

To: "Chuck Adkins" <k8cpachuck@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4000 Watts on a SB-220?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 06:29:41 -0700

On May 2, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Chuck Adkins wrote:

Guys,

I was talking to a guy today on the radio and he was telling me
that he got a sb-220, with a 3rd 3-500Z tube, and it was "all done up"
on the inside. exteral power supply and that the amp is going 4KW PEP.

Is this really possible? or no?

 In my experiences, at 3000Vdc, a Mu=130 3-500Z will produce a linear output of about 800w pep -- provided it has c. 70w of drive. With a Mu of 200 (Amperex 3-500), a bit less drive is required but the pep out is the same.

just wondering... I seriously have my doubts.

 There is nothing about telling the truth in Part 97. As a well known amateur in North Hollywood (WA6MFJ) says "you don't have to tell the truth on amateur radio".

cheers, Chuck