RE: [Amps] TEXT Messages

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] TEXT Messages
From: "List Administrator" <amps@myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 02:01:21 -0400

> Dennis I have problem sometimes on this site. I think AOL
> told me. They only send text in HTML  Maybe someone here
> on Amps can clear this up.

Your original message came from AOL as "multi-part" ... one
text part and one HTML part.  All contesting.com lists use
"Mime/Del" to strip off the HTML portion of the message as
well as any attachments.

Mime/Del provides two advantages ... first by eliminating
the HTML, the messages are significantly smaller and the
HTML adds no value to the message.  Secondly, by stripping
any attachments, viruses, worms, and other "nasties" are
prevented from forwarding via the contesting.com mail lists.

This is a good time to make a couple other comments about
message postings here:

1) DO NOT quote large chunks of a message, one or two lines
   MAXIMUM should be enough to maintain continuity.

2) Always strip the "footer" from any message you quote -
   it is very wasteful of the system bandwidth when one
   sees three, four, or even more footers appended to a
   series of messages.

3) DO NOT copy the entire list on personal comments.  Unless
   you have something significant to add to a subject, keep
   the personal comments private ... the "me too" messages
   are unnecessary and simply add more overhead.

4) ALWAYS use the e-mail account from which you subscribed
   to the list.  If you subscribed with an alias (e.g.,
   "mycall@arrl.net") please configure your e-mail program
   to use that address as the "From:" address for your
   postings to this list.  All lists at contesting.com
   permit posting by members (subscribers) only.  This is
   for protection from spam and viruses.

5) Finally, this is a moderated list ... we have tried on
   several occasions to lift the moderation but every time
   we try, someone posts a personal attack or obscene/indecent
   comments, generally within a day or two of lifting the
   "hold for review."  Because the list is moderated, there
   will generally be a delay (12-24 hours) between the time
   a message is posted and it is relayed to the list.