RE: [BULK] - [Amps] Screen voltage regulation

To: 'Thomas Hoeppe' <thomas.hoeppe@asamnet.de>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [BULK] - [Amps] Screen voltage regulation
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 07:48:19 -0700
Thomas, in my 4-1000 grid driven amps I faced a similar dilemma 20 years
ago.  Using the HV to drive the screen supply seems like a great idea, since
if the B+ goes down, then the screen does too, preventing screen damage, but
the thought of a 400W resistor bank was rather daunting, not to mention the
added heat and wasted power.  I ended up building an ordinary well-filtered
600V FWB using a 450V transformer rated about 1/2A, and bled it with 12K,
50W resistor, creating a self-regulating screen supply that is so stiff it
doesn't budge regardless of what the tube does.  It's been working 20 years
now (this month).  Still using the same tube, same PSU components, same
everything.  Haven't had the cover off the 4-1000 6m amp since May 1984 when
I first put it on the air. -WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill