Re: [Amps] Fl2000b grid choke

To: va7nt@telus.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fl2000b grid choke
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:51:21 -0700

On May 19, 2004, at 5:13 PM, Paul Erickson wrote:

I am fixing an FL2000b amp for a friend, and among other things the grid choke is black from over heating. I am having trouble finding one locally. It is one of the old receiving type millen/miller single layer chokes. Anyone know where I can find a good replacement?

 Paul -- Replacing the choke is not the fix. The choke was toasted because of a burst of grid-I. The fix is to improve the VHF stability of the amplifier so as to lessen the chance of burst in grid-I. Since a Cu-wire choke is a poor fuse, and a burst in grid-I can damage a 572B, it would be better to limit grid-I with a fusing resistor of 30 - 39-ohms @ 0.25w. -- notes -- The resistor type: Carbon-film is better then MOF for this application. // To protect the grid fusing resistor from 10m RF from the adjacent anode, the grid should be bypassed with c. 1500pF.

Ω≈

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org