Re: [Amps] rebuilding glass tubes

To: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] rebuilding glass tubes
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 07:39:45 -0700
R.Measures wrote:
? Econco reportedly tried rebuilding 4-1000As but it proved to economically unfeasible. The advantage of ceramic-metal tubes is that they are literally silver-soldered together, so they may - if required - be disassembled, repaired, and re-soldered. However, most worn out ceramic-metal tubes only need to be re-carburized with acetylene gas and re-pumped to restore full function for c. another 20k hours of operation.

Can the 3CX800A7 be rebuilt? I am happy with my Alpha 86, but the thought of eventually needing to replace the tubes at current prices is scary.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco