[Amps] SB-220 on 6 meters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 on 6 meters
From: Chuck Sudds <chuck@dxham.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 13:06:14 -0500
Greetings!

I am new here and have an amplifier question. I just recently purchased an SB-220 that has had the 15 meter portion of the amp converted to 6 meters. The party that did this used the article in QST from back in 1987.

I am using an Icom 706MkII to drive the amp on 6 meters, which, unfortunately, does not have a built-in antenna tuner.

My problem is that, when I hook up the 706 directly to my beam, I have a perfect 1:1 match on 50.125 and 100W output but when I go through the SB-220, the 100W output drops off to about 50W and the SWR goes up to almost 2:1. I am still getting 400W out but with only 50 watts drive!

I am assuming that there is a problem with the input matching circuit?!?!?!?! The 15M coil and capacitor were modified per that article but I am not sure if there is an adjustment or something somewhere to "fine tune" it.

Any comments or ideas?? I will be happy to summarize and post the results at a later date. Thanks, in advance!

Chuck KØTVD