Re: [Amps] sb 220 1mh rf choke help

To: N7uvh@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] sb 220 1mh rf choke help
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 03:08:33 -0700
 Hello, Pat -- The 1mH choke was not defective. It smoked for a reason -- i. e., too much grid current. However, the surge in grid current was probably not caused by operator error. All tubes have a small amount of anode-to-input feedback-C. This is insignificant at HF, but not at VHF. It might be a good idea to check the tube whose choke smoked for a filament-to-grid short since high grid current exerts lateral stress between the grid and the filament. I would replace the smoked choke with a 0.25w to 0.5w carbon resistor that has a similar # of DC ohms. 20 - 30 ohms is typical. However, to protect the resistor from 10m RF, add 1000 or so pF to the existing grid bypass C. In the event of an oscillation condition, the small resistor will open and hopefully protect the tube from failure. cheerz