RE: [Amps] Trio TL-922 vs later models

To: "'r391'" <r391@worldnet.att.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] Trio TL-922 vs later models
From: "W1GOR" <W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:00:08 -0400
Hello Ott,

Upon further examination of the two schematics on the
http://youkai.net/tl922/ site, it appears that the power levels are
quite different on CW & SSB for each amplifier.  The plate voltage is
1700V @ 500mA for BOTH CW & SSB on the top schematic (Trio..? maybe
Japanese domestic use only..?), but the plate voltage is 2500V @ 800mA
for SSB and 1700V @ 800mA for CW on the lower schematic (export..?  USA,
EU, etc..?). Also, on the top schematic, there is no connection to the
transformer BLACK wire, which will reduce the plate voltage by at least
400V.

What are the RF power limits in Japan..?  This amplifier was configured
for use in a power-restricted environment.

Also, the 7.5V is different for both schematics.  The top schematic
lists 0V for SSB and 7.5V for CW, but the bottom schematic shows 7.5V
for BOTH SSB and CW.

It would appear that your TL922 can be rewired to conform to the lower
schematic and would then be capable of operating at the higher plate
voltage on SSB.  On one of the web pages, there is a procedure
illustrating the conversion process.  Yes, it's written in Japanese,
but, as a very wise Oriental man once said, "One picture is worth one
thousand words".

Sayonara & 73 Ottsan, Larry - W1GOR