[Amps] Re: SB-220 fan (oil) question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Re: SB-220 fan (oil) question
From: Dave Haupt <emailw8nf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 13:01:28 -0700 (PDT)
Routine maintenance manuals for industrial equipment
suggest that oilite bearings (oil-impregnated porous
bronze) lose the lubricating qualities primarily
because the oil wicks onto the motor shaft, and then
it's absorbed into attracted dust particles.
Therefore, a simple re-oil is not recommended.
Instead, a cleaning off of the dust and dirt is first.
 Using cotton swaps with a very light amount of
alcohol is indicated.  The company that produces the
bearings suggests that the porosity of the bearings is
greatest on the surface where the bearing contacts the
motor shaft, therefore the proper point of oil
application is the shaft.

The standard lubricant in oilite bearings is mineral
oil.  3 in 1 oil is mineral oil, but my preference is
to start with drugstore mineral oil, saturate a cotton
swab, apply to the motor shaft and let gravity pull it
into the bearing.  Then remove excess mineral oil from
the shaft with another cotton swab.

73,

W8NF