Re: [Amps] 8877 Input network testing

To: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 Input network testing
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:00:03 -0700

On Jul 15, 2004, at 6:54 PM, jeff millar wrote:

I'm restoring an 8877 on 2M and it needs a better match on the input network. I've designed several input network options and now need to test them. Here's some questions that I hope someone can answer...

   * According to the data sheet, an 8877 has a Zin of 54 Ohms and 34
     pF in parallel.  For testing, I've soldered a 51 Ohm resistor from
     cathode to ground (close enough), drive a bit of power and tune
     for minimum reflected .  Does this work?

Jeff --- Not as well as driving the cathode since a g-g cathode in not the same thing as a fixed resistor -- i. e., the 8877 cathode driving R fluctuates from c. 8-ohms on the negative half of the driving cycle to well over 100k-ohms on the positive half of the cycle. So, 54-ohms? is just an average.

Can I expect the input
     capacitance to remain the same even with the tube off?

Yes

* How much additional stray capacitance comes from the tube socket? The matching network isn't working as expected and I'm not sure why.

thanks in advance...

jeff, wa1hco

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org