[Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RE: 4CX250B Screen Supplies
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:15:16 -0400
What Rich says is exactly right! The voice can range anywhere in the audio spectrum and thus makes the screen current swing widely. The two tone test only uses two of the spectrums frequencies and is a constant value. Thus, the screen current will be constant and proportional to the two incoming tones. Like he mentioned, it wouldn't matter if it was regulated or not because it would be set for only those two tones. When the human voice is used, I would bet the IMD will raise considerably, how much I can not say. A test with a spectrum analyzer would be the way to go on this.

Will Matney

Dom -- I also noticed that a two-tone test was used to measure IMD. A voice-test is a better method of measuring IMD since it causes the screen-I to vary and the two-tone test produces constant screen-I. Other problems with the comparative tests at

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/cleansig/imd1.htm

was that no comparative dynamic load regulation test was performed on any of the screen regulators, and we have no way of knowing how the loading was adjusted regarding screen-I before each measurement. (i. e., AB1 tetrode or pentode loading is a major factor here since more screen-I = more IMD).
Also, with a 2-tone test, it would seem not to matter whether the screen-V is regulated or unregulated since screen-I is constant and therefore screen-V would not vary unless the electric-mains V fluctuated.
end

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org