[Amps] Re: Which Vg2 for 4CX1500B SSB ?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: Which Vg2 for 4CX1500B SSB ?
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:25:22 -0400
Peter,
Really, the screen voltage is set by the tube manufacturer for an allowable IMD, screen current, etc. by their voltage rating. The screen voltage can vary some from their ratings. The different screen voltages are done because of the design of each tube itself in order to have it work correctly and withing specs. I have seen 4CX250B's ran anywhere from +280 Vdc to +400 Vdc screen voltage. I think the factory spec is around +350 if I recall without looking. It will also change by what mode of operation it is ran at A, AB1, AB2, etc.). Those ratings are found on the manufacturers spec sheets for each tube. If the screen voltage is raised, it amplification (gain) is raised thus increasing the IMD. Decreasing the voltage would do the opposite by dropping the gain. Really, where you would personally set the G2 voltage at is up to the builder and how clean he is trying to build it.

Will

Hi all, I am new to this list and need some help.

In various ( linear SSB ) 4CX 1500B PA designs I have seen various Vg2
voltages from + 225 V until +300V.

As far as I could recall, the lower the Vg2 the lower the IMD3 (?)

What could be the reason for designing a ( SSB linear ) 4CX1500B circuit
with  Vg2 at 300 V ?
End of all, one of the reasons to choose for a 4CX1500B is the relative low
IMD3.
What are pro's and con's of such relatively high Vg2 ?

EIMAC's " Care and feeding.. " does not resolve this question for me .
Who could ?

Thanks for any explanation.

Peter, PE1E