[Amps] Filter-C

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Filter-C
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:02:12 -0700
RE: Filter-C, how much is enough? A friend of mine built a 4-1000A/8166 g-g amplifier that ran c. 6500v on the anode from a FWB rectifier/C-filter. The only filter-C he had on hand that would handle this much V was a 2uF unit. To get the project going, he installed the 2uF C, but he left extra space on the chassis so that he could add more C when it became available - at the right price, of course. To initially check out the amplifier, he fired it up with the 2uF filter C. He fired up the amplifier on 80m. I could hear no ripple in the SSB signal. Is this plausible? Hmmmmm. During a SSB voice transmission, indicated anode-I is roughly 1/3 of the max anode-I rating, so in this case, the average load would be 750mA / 3 = 250mA. Thus, the equivalent RL on the PS was 6500V / 0.25a = 26,000-ohms. The rule of thumb for the filter-C for a FWB is 70k / RL, or 70,000 / 26,000 = 2.7uF. This led me to conclude that this rule of thumb might be a bit conservative. Eventually, a 4uF unit was added to the 2uF, bringing the total to 6uF. No subsequent change in audio quality - or change the HV meter indication - was observed.
- end

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org