[Amps] Effects of gapping trnasfomers.

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Effects of gapping trnasfomers.
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:03:42 -0400
A good while back, on a discussion about gapping cores in transformers, I forget with who, I found this info today that may be interesting. Below is a quote from Magnetics, inc., Div. of Spang & Co.;

"A typical example showing the merit of the cut-core was in the check out of the Mariner spacecraft. During the check out of a science prototype, a large (8A, 200uS) turn-on transient was observed. The normal running current is .06 amps, and is fused with a parallel redundant 1/8 amp fuse. The MM'71 design philosophy requires the use of fuses in the power lines of all "non-mission-critical" flight equipment. With this 8 amp, inrush current, the 1/8 amp fuses were easily blown. This did not happen on every turn-on, but only when the core would latch up in the wrong direction for turn on. Upon inspection of the transformer, it turned out to be a 50-50 Ni-Fe toroid. The design was changed from a toroidal core to a cut-core with a 25 micron air gap. The new design was completely successful in eliminating the 8-A turn-on transient."

>Keep in mind that a 25 micron air gap is equal to 0.000984 inches! Magnetics says this;

"A small amount of air gap, less than 25 microns, has a powerful demagnetizing effect and this gap has little effect on core loss. This small amount of air gap decreases the residual magnetism by shearing over the hysteresis loop. This eliminates the ability of the core to remain saturated."

Will Matney