Re: [Amps] re cooling of coils

To: yo9fzs@office.deck.ro
Subject: Re: [Amps] re cooling of coils
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:21:36 -0400
Dear Traian,

Breeder-type reactors especially use liquid sodium cooling in the
primary circuit. The problem found was that under severe
neutron flux, the sodium metal became itself radioactive
and the disposal issue was astronomical in cost alone, never mind
the safety ramifications.

Our company is now using "glassification," whereby we mix radioactive
waste with ordinary sand and heat it to where the sand melts and forms
a glass type admixture with the waste. This then is much more stable
than a drum of let's say radioactive nitric acid. The drums are then
stored way below the Utah salt flats.

Hal
W4HBM