Re: [Amps] output ckts.

To: carl seyersdahl <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] output ckts.
From: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:18:44 -0700
carl seyersdahl wrote:

  I don't want to reveal my age, but many, many years ago, (late
40's -mid50's maybe) there was a "multiband" tuning unit available, which ,
as I recall was certainly not good for 2 kw. but was useful on all bands ,
even to 10 mtrs. as I recall, but ,This is only a vague memory now.!!
   I believe it was a "johnson" or maybe "B&W. can any of the "other"
oldtimers recall this unit????
   I sure would like to "remember" some of these things.!!!!

National made the MB-40-L and MB-150-L multiband tanks. They covered 80-10 m with two parallel-resonant circuits. Each one covered a 2-1 frequency range. The circuit was arranged so that the high band circuit had little effect on the low band circuit and vice versa. The circuits were also 'staggered' in such a way that when one circuit was resonant at a particular frequency, the other was not resonant at a harmonic of it.

The MB-40-L was rated at 40 watts input and the MB-150-L at 150. The little one was often used in a grid circuit. One problem with these was that since the tuned circuits covered a 2:1 ratio by varying the capacitance only, the Q was high on 80 and 20 meters, and low on 40 and 10.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco