Re: [Amps] AL1200

To: dezrat1242@ispwest.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL1200
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:47:41 -0700

On Sep 22, 2004, at 8:44 AM, Bill Turner wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:39:33 EDT, K9RT@aol.com wrote:

Have a friend with an AL1200 that recently stopped transmitting on 80 meters
only. Works fine, full output on all other bands.
He said he heard a hiss and then it stopped working on 80. I looked at the
bandswitch contacts and loading coil and can see no evidence of burned/arcing.
We tried to load it again yesterday and a nice burned odor permeated the
room. No output again on 80 only.
Any suggestions? I am leaning towards the input circuitry but he is dreading
shipping it back to Ameritron.
Any suggestions as to reputable amp service work in the midwest in the
vicinity of Louisville, KY? He would much rather drive a little and deliver the
amp rather than risk shipping this beast.

Thanks for any help/advice and will pass it along as received.

Dick K9RT

My AL1200 stopped working on 80 because the solder joint at the tap on
the main tank coil broke loose.  Give the wire a tug and see if it is
still connected.  It may have broken loose but only pulled away a tiny
bit so as to not be readily apparent.

Possible, but a burned smell could be a problem with an 80m padder C.
--
Bill W6WRT

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org