[Amps] Marconi

To: kr4wm@earthlink.net
Subject: [Amps] Marconi
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 11:55:42 -0400
Dear Mr. Williams,

As a graduate of the Marconi Technical school I may be able to offer some
little knowledge to your project.

1. The Positive (+48V) Battery Return may be an integrated ground,
meaning that
    some internal components may seek a Battery return through the frame
and through
    their individual Battery return cables, so be sure to include your
power supply
    Positive Battery Return (+48V) in the connection to the Ground Buss
where you
    establish a polarizing Frame Ground (Trip Ground) with reference to
the amplifier
    frame.

2. Be sure to use the same size, or larger diameter conductor for your
Trip Ground
    as the Battery Supply (-48V) and Battery Return (+48V) so that
integrated
    Ground currents do not suffer a voltage drop in the loop from supply
to appliance.

3. Do not tie the filter signal ports together. Their paralleled
impedances may detune
    the entire frame. A B&W 6-position coax switch in the input and
output can
    select the proper filter.

What kind of power supply (e.g., amperes DC, etc.) are you running your
amplifier
with, and do you use a battery as a noise sink, filter and power supply
reference
voltage?

Respectfully,

Hal Mandel