Re: [Amps] RE: Snipers are the scourge of Ebay]

To: Tony King <amps@w4zt.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE: Snipers are the scourge of Ebay]
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:14:58 +0100
Tony King wrote:

If you feel you have shill bidders on a particular auction, they should be reported to Ebay. Personal experience is that they take such reports very seriously and WILL suspend a seller for participating in a shill. Don't hesitate to notice who the bidders are. Usually the shill bidder will not win the auction but bids the price up for the seller.

73, Tony W4ZT

Well your experience has been a lot better than me. Any time i have reported things, they take no action. I'm fed up with the number of US sellers who sell on www.ebay.co.uk, in UK pounds, giving a location as the UK, only to be in the USA. So where you think 5 UK pounds for delivery will be spent on next-day, in fact it takes forever as it is shipped from the USA. I have reported this before. They acknowledge it is against their rules, but do nothing.

I once bought a Sun workstation. After the auction closed, the seller added 17.5% VAT which I was a bit annoyed about, since it was not stated, but I swallowed that. Someone else pointed out to me he was based in the USA, and so should not have charged me VAT. So after some argument, he refunded the VAT. The computer took 3 months to arrive, but was DOA. We agreed a new price so I would fix the computer, since I was not willing to pay the shipping costs back to the USA, when I bought the item supposedly from the UK. I gave him negative feedback, which he objected to, so when to a 'Square Trader' which cost him $25 or so.

Then, he offers to refund me $40 as a 'gesture of good will' if I agreed to get the feedback removed. The Square Trader asked me if I would do that!!! Now if that is not a bribe, I don't know what is. Yet the Square trader (ebay) asked me if I would do this. I told the guy where to stick his $40.

More recently I bought some RAM from a UK seller, but again he was in the USA. He communicated badly, not answering emails, and it took ages for the ram to arrive by the slowest airmail he could use. So I gave him a negative. So what did he do? Just retaliated, and done the same.

Even more recently, I bought a Sun ethernet+SCSI card from someone who had pretty poor feedback (96%), but since it was only a fiver, I decided to go for it. It did not work. He does not answer my emails. So do I give him a negative - no I won't. I will swallow the 5 pounds, rather than risk him retaliating. So I have paid for a dead ethernet+SCSI card.

Any if you want to read about my experiences in 1999 when I got ripped off and claimed via eBay's insurance, take a look here.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=3837D313.9D3F1BA%40medphys.ucl.ac.uk&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dkirkby%2Bebay%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26selm%3D3837D313.9D3F1BA%2540medphys.ucl.ac.uk%26rnum%3D1

Several months later, I got around 50% of my money back.

I still use eBay. Only today I bid on a 36 GB SCSI disk, but lost that one. But I am not too impressed with how eBay deal with complaints.

I think you have to figure that if someone has 98% feedback, it probably means 90% are happy, 10% are not, but most of that 10% refuse to give a negative, for fear of getting one back. I should have give the seller who sold me a combined ethernet and SCSI card negative, but he got away with it, since I don't want a second negative feedback myself.

Dr. David Kirkby. (username drkirkby on eBay).