Re: [Amps] GU84-B ratings

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GU84-B ratings
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:44:06 -0400
Barry,

That Dutch website I listed a few days back had one of the better designs using the GU-84B tube I've seen. The only weak part I thought was him using a light bulb as a dropping resistor for the screen shunt regulator. To me, it would allow too much of a current surge until the filament heated up. The shunt regulator used is for QSK, and can be modified by using a 3900 ohm, 25W resistor there at the bulb. I actually had a good e-mail conversation with the builder on it. To me, from what I recall, he had the voltages ran pretty much at spec. Below is the link to the site, you might find it useful.

Website: http://home.planet.nl/~fhvgeerligs/Lineairs/Lineairs.htm

Best & 73's

Will Matney

Barry Kirkwood wrote:

Have seen a variety of designs using GU-84B with various anode voltages etc.
Would appreciate any views about GU84 operating conditons for amateur HF SSB
and CW service.
Thanks and 73
Baz

end