Re: [Amps] toroid filament choke?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] toroid filament choke?
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 01:41:14 -0400
Tony,

You have to keep in mind the current surge there until the heater warms up. The colder the heater is, the more current it draws. I would use a conductor with at least 750 cir mils per ampere. For 3 amperes, that equals out to be about 16 AWG wire for the minimum. Without doing any calculations, a higher inductance is indeed needed for 160 meters. The core referred to would only be about 2-1/4" ID core which is probably about the smallest one could use. I was thinking of more like a 2-1/2" ID. The core can be wound two different ways. One way, bifilar and the other with two windings on each 1/2 of the core. I prefer the bifilar for this. Once you determine the core you want, you need to figure the circumference of one turn of wire. Then figure how many turns the core will hold. Multiply the two and add the lead lengths. Cut two pieces of formvar insulated magnet wire this length and wind the choke. One could use a TFE insulated wire but you cant get as many turns this way because the insulation is thicker. The number of turns needs to fill the core until a space at the bottom between the start and stop is about 30 degrees from the center of the Toroid. A few turns here or there wont matter much. Last, you want to check the self resonance too. There's generally texts on how to do this in dip meter manuals. If yours don't, check out the old Heathkit dip meter manuals.