Re: [Amps] Shock hazard?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shock hazard?
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:18:21 -0500
Arthur,

Your correct. I thought that was the anode cap on a rectifier tube. I couldn't figure why in the world they would have done that. Next time I'll look up the tube but figured it a diode. Still at that, it is poor engineering practice to do this. The eye tube, I can see as it has to be shown. I think if it were me designing that, I would have mounted the tube on it's side if it allowed it, or put the assembly in a larger case. Hal Mandel, W4HBM, brought up a good point about the line cord not being grounded. A lot of equipment back then was this way. The only way TV, and stereo sets get by with it today is using insulated cabinets being fiberboard or plastic.

Arthur Moe wrote:

Will and all,

If your referring to the "CAP" connection on top of the tube you do NOT need to worry it is not the plate it is the grid. Typical Operation of the grid -13.5 volts.

12A7 http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=12A7

Art KB7WW

Will Matney wrote:

I know this don't necessarily have to do with amps, but I figured I'd
show this as what not to do in building any tube application. Can anyone
spot the shock hazard on the old CD capacitor checker? I seen this and
my jaw dropped, oh the good ol days =)

Link;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3284&item=3851298640&rd=1

Best & 73's