Re: [Amps] Amp failure advice please.

To: g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp failure advice please.
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:18:05 EST
I have a 70cm amplifier that recently showed exactly the same symptoms
described. The problem turned out to be a shorted coax jumper (approx 6 inches
long)
between the amplifier output connector and a coax relay.

The jumper was made of LMR400 and had the weight of two relays and two coax
cables hanging on it. I assume that the center conductor migrated and shorted
to the shield but it was not investigated to be sure.

A new, longer jumper was made of LMR600 and all is now well. The correct
solution will require fabrication of a bracket to support the hanging weight
but
who has time to do that?

73,
Gerald/K5GW