Re: [Amps] TL-922 and overdriving

To: k7fm <k7fm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922 and overdriving
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:29:07 -0800

On Dec 9, 2004, at 6:09 AM, k7fm wrote:

"Hello,
I recently changed my TRX for a TS-950SDX which has 150 W power output. I'd
like to know if it is dangerous to drive a TL-922 with 150 W, instead of the
recommended 100 W ?
I ask that because I usually run 150 W and when I turn on the amplifier, I
forgot to reduce power sometimes...
Maybe the best solution is to set the TRX max power to 100 W ?
Regards
Olivier"

That depends. First, I assume you have a callsign and this is not about 11
meters, because different rules apply there.

It is most dangerous to do if you have neighbors, because they may come over
and choke you or shoot your cat. Overdrive will cause serious distortion
and splatter - which is like bad breath except on 11 meters. That should be
sufficient.

If that is not enough, the grids of a pair 3-500 tubes are not rated to
dissipate 150 watts, although doing so is not dangerous - it will simply
burn up the 3-500Z tubes.

My guess is that only c. 16% of the driving power for a g-g 3-500Z is dissipated by the grid. // RE: burning up the grid: Running a 3-500Z's or /3-400Z's grid red-hot will not burn it up. (molybdneum melts at 2617ºC)

If you use the power reduction control on the 950, that control may not be
effective until after the first spike, so you may save the grids but still
splatter.

The solution -except on 11m of course - is to back off the mic. gain control until barely any ALC is indicated.

Best procedure is to use a scope to see what happens - or listen to the splatter created.

Colin K7FM

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org