Re: [Amps] the dumb question of the month?

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] the dumb question of the month?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 03:17:56 -0800

On Dec 11, 2004, at 2:36 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:

On Saturday 11 December 2004 03:05, Dan Sawyer wrote:
All,

I am trying to figure out ferrite output transformers. This question is:

"What does the frequency response of a ferrite transformer look like?"
It's a simple question, but many entire books have been written trying to
answer it.

Basically, sweeping it without properly defining the source and load
impedances is largely wasted effort, unless you are simply trying to tell
that two apparently identical transformers are actually the same.

The effective way to understand what a transformer is doing is to put a known
resistance on one side, and measure the impedance looking into the other.
Personally, I wouldn't care to do it with anything other than a network
analyser.

Network analyzers operate at QRP. What happens at QRO with a ferrite device is what counts, and ferrite transformers are rarely tested at full-throttle.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org