Re: [Amps] INRUSH

To: "DF3KV" <df3kv@aol.com>, <dpipes@earthlink.net>,"Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] INRUSH
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:32:08 -0600
By the way, the filter is 2 units of 194uF @ 30KV
and weigh around 200 pounds each.

in my opinion the filter bank is too much oversized for a 3-phase powersupply even when no bridge rectifier is used and that caused the problem with the diodes. With a commercial tv transmitter I would expect it being on the air around the clock with rare occasions were the power supply is being switched

73
Peter

It appears that the C filter was over-engineered and the inrush ignored by the manufacturer.

I would think 5-10 MFD worth of filtering would be plenty. The ripple out of a full-wave three
phase bridge rectifier is C. 1% if my memory is still intact.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC