Re: Re[2]: [Amps] SB-220

To: "Dan" <dpipes@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Amps] SB-220
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 08:35:48 -0800

On Dec 27, 2004, at 7:16 AM, Dan wrote:

Richard,
I would think the inrush protection as on your site would no doubt be good regardless just to calm everything down a little when the amp is switched on.. Even though the 811H HV is at 1700 volts I have looked at the circuit on your site and assume it would have to be changed a little on the Ameritron as the Ameritron 811H does not have a relay from transformer as noted.

A separate relay is required for step-start, no matter how the amplifier is switched on. The relay coil-V can be 12vdc, or whatever DC-V is available from the extant relay PS. - note - For a 12vdc coil, FWD rectify the fil's 6V-ac and use a series-R with the coil to set make at 2/3 of normal HV. Also, a FWD might provide enough rectified V to pull in a 12v relay.

Unless i am missing someting. Either way seems like the way to go. I looked at Ameritron's external inrush device, but the problem I see with an external unit is the fact that you must switch the amp on and off from the external unit not the amp making it a little un-handy if say the evice is under a desk that the amp sits on etc..
What about leaving it on..... his first question.

Not including a step-start in an amplifier increases sales of their external step-start unit. Mo' profits, supersize fries, and mo' bigga SUVs are always mo' better in America. I have think there would be a market for an amplifier that has no design flubs. Afterall, this stuff isn't rocket science.

I too come inhere early morning and tend to switch on the radio to isten in ona couple of nets etc. i might not actually go on air much during that time.But in result is it is on much of day Is there a recomended time etc to follow as far as switching on the amp I like having it ready to go .. but not sure how much life i take out of it if i sits 80% on on time .. tnx

I see no reason to let thoriated tungsten filament tubes idle, but heater-type tubes, yes. Any HV-PS benefits from a step-start.

Dan
PS- if youhave a circuit design for a step start that would wokr in the 811H let me know