Re: [Amps] 8122 x 12

To: avilaseca@bluewin.ch
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8122 x 12
From: G3rzp@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:51:29 EST

avilaseca@bluewin.ch writes:

>  I've got some papers from an IEE Conference on HF back in 63, where  they
> were described. There'a also a paper from STC about a 60kW tx:

Could you please make some info available?

I can photocopy and mail next week - I could try getting the XYL to use her
scanner if she has time before she goes off on her next business trip.

Personally, I'd just use the distributed amplifer as a source of parts. Use
4 4CX250B's for 1kW out, and you'll get a relatively clean 1kW. 4CX250s
aren't the most linear of tubes - bear in mind the basic design is 1946, and
they
weren't looking for linearity much then -  but put some negative  feedback on
it and you'll improve the linearity - I assume you're driving  from the usual
transceiver power level, so you've plenty of power available in  passive grid.
Use a shunt regulated screen supply, too. Easiest way to do NFB is  something
like a 10ohm 2 watt metal film resistor in the common cathode lead to  the 4
tubes, shunted by an RFC of around 10 or 20 microhenries, wound on a bit  of
ferrite - you want an impedance of greater than 100 ohms over the operating
range. You can often liberate suitable chokes from old switching power
supplies.

73

Peter G3RZP

10 4CX250B's for a kW is still a lot of electricity for the blower, heaters
etc. And nobody describes distributed amplifiers as power efficient for narrow
 band work.