[Amps] Re: plate resistance

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Re: plate resistance
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:49:36 -0500
Roy,

The Q meter I have here, really it's operations book, describes how you can mathmatically compare the measured Q to the Q used in figuring pi and pi-l circuits (operating Q). No it doesn't and wont show the operating Q you used to determine the circuit but the actual circuit Q (L and C). I should have made that clear when I posted it.

Was stated:

"Even though the Q is a factor plugged into the formula, there are "Q meters" for testing the actual Q of a built component-network. After the tank is complete, or just the tank coil itself, the actual Q can be found with the meter and then compared to the value you arrived at from the formulas. Most LCR meters have the capacity to test the Q of a component or circuit. There are more accurate Q meters available though. So david is right on the money by his answer."

Ouch,

The 'actual Q' of a plate tank circuit is hardly at all related to what
we refer to as the 'operating Q' of the same. The operating Q is mainly
just the L/C ratio used. Do I understand your statement above correctly?
Using a Q meter will merely give you the Q of the circuit, which is
many, many  times higher than operating Q.

73,   Roy     K6XK