[Amps] Advice on how to work this thing...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Advice on how to work this thing...
From: <chris@yipyap.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:43:39 -0000

I've been assembling this homebrew 1KW AM transmitter that
I inherited from W6MSC.  (see www.yipyap.com , link
at bottom of the page...)

Right now I'm accumulating the tubes it needs.  I've
already mentioned that, so I won't bore you with it.

My question for today is, how do I operate this thing once
I get it populated and apply power?

I have made a sketch of the PA circuit.  You can find it
at:

http://www.yipyap.com/radio_stuff/W6MSC/PA_Circuit.pdf

I have marked three points where coils can be swapped out
for different sized units.

1)  This is between the plates of the 250TH tubes.  I have
three to choose from, all are similar size wire, wound on the
same size ceramic form.  It fits into brackets under the
big B&W swinging link structure.

2)  This is the main coil of the B&W structure.  I have 4 or 5
to choose from , different size wire and different numbers of
turns.

3)  This is the pickup on the swinging part of the swinging link.
I have 3-4 of these also ranging from a single turn to about 4
turns.

Ok,  so my question is, how can I get this thing in a situation
nearly right, so when I apply power I don't blow something up!?!
I have a grid dip meter.  Should I find a combination of 1,2&3
that dips at the selected frequency?  What other procedures
do you suggest.

The second question is:  when I get to running the thing,
what indications will I have that it is working right?
There are meters for plate current, grid current, filament
voltage, and plate voltage.  I can twiddle the knobs... what
condition of operation am I looking for?

My biggest fear is that I'm going to apply power to this
and blow up the tubes or set something on fire.

Chris