[Amps] one more time - Ameritron fuse question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] one more time - Ameritron fuse question
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:43:03 -0500
Dan,

Slow blow would be best in my opinion using 8 ampere fuses which in my opinion is still a little to small. I dont think running 10 or 12 ampere ones would hurt. When a short occurs, there's a huge amount of current drawn and each of the three sizes would blow quickly. Matter of fact, just the transformers surge current is whats blowing the 8 ampere fast blows. You can figure that 8 amperes at 120 Vac is 960 watts input which is not very much. At 50% efficiency let's say, would only be 480 watts output, and about 576 watts at 60%, this being only the amplifier class efficiency. There are other losses too which will add to this number (more torwards 400 watts output for 960 watts input, or power supply and transformer losses).

Will

Well you guys are batting 100% so far i now have one more Ameritron 811H question. I have replaced the grid resitor and replaced all four tubes (one was shorted causing the resitor to blow). All is well works great never better...switched to 240 from 120 and even better. Great output and amp seems happy sounds and works very well.....

now the problem. To keep the fuses to spec Ameritron states a 8 amp fuse on both sides at 240 volt versus 12 amp at 120 volts. It was running fine with the original 12 amp ceramiic 3ag 250 volt fuses but thought i better get them down to the rated 8 amp. Put in a set of C3ag 8 amp 250 v ceramic fast blo fuses and switched on the amp.. nothing. a little jump of the needles bit nothing. checked the fuses both blown.. tried again same thing. replace with 10 amp fuses all ok.... voltage on the 240 voly line is near 240 so it is where it should be

should I try/use slow-blow fuses at 8 amps. would that be better then the 10 or 12 amp fast blo fuses?

I do have a step start (slow start) device coming.. This might correct the problem with fast blo at 8 amps.. BUT you guys are the experts..
thanks for any and all opinions...

Dan