Re: [Amps] Ferrite-loaded plate choke

To: "DF3KV" <df3kv@aol.com>, <wc6w@juno.com>, <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>,<Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ferrite-loaded plate choke
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:45:42 +0100
My understanding of this circuit is that it connects the HV at the output end
of the Pi-network, which gives a much lower impedance level for the choke.

The drawback is that the Pi-network capacitors have to carry both the DC
potential
and the peak RF voltage.

The concept was pioneered, if memory serves me right, in the Collins 205J 45 kW
servo-tuned
linear amplifier designed for the SAC air-ground and point-to-point networks,
(a write-up is in the first edition of the Single Sideband Principles and
Circuits).

These amplifiers with their 4 paralleled 4CX5000A's are by the way truly
awesome creatures...

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM