Re: [Amps] Aplha 91b

To: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Aplha 91b
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:21:27 -0800

On Jan 10, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Will Matney wrote:

I'm with Rich. I'd like to see the 4CX800 autopsied to see it's faults or good points. Since this tube is becoming one of the most popular amateur tubes out, this would be a good thing for all I would think. Since Rich has done it before, and knows what to watch out for, he would be the one to do it.

Also, my cousin Virginia Ann is a county coroner.

Will

On Jan 10, 2005, at 1:46 AM, Fortra wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> the Alpha 91b being produced in Bulgaria used GU74B or 4cx800.

Good point, Nermin. The last I heard, the 91B used 2, 4cx800As. If the 4cx800 uses a gold-plated grid, the problem could be gold migration to the oxide cathode. If the grid is not gold-plated, perhaps the cathode is getting tired, - If anyone has a kaput 4cx800 that they would like to donate, I would like to autopsy it to find out out what happened and post JPGs of the guts on my Web site. cheerz

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org