Re: [Amps] qrp-excited amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] qrp-excited amps
From: "John Finner" <finnerjf@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:28:36 -0500
John

The only amplifier from my several Orr handbooks that you might be thinking of
is from the 21st edition.  It is a class AB1 passive grid driven configuration
4CX1500.  What lends it to your qrp level is the grid is loaded with 6 1200 ohm
paralleled 2 watt carbon composition resistors for 200 ohms at 12 watts load
fed from a 4 to 1 broad band step-up transformer.  The 4CX1500 only requires 35
volts peak drive.  Across 200 ohms this a little over 3 watts PEP from your K2.
 The technique is well explained by Rich Measures on his www.vcnet.com/measures
figure 5 page.  Instead of a tetrode with handles requiring 300 volts peak
drive from a 150 - 200 watt exciter, here it is scaled down to 5 watts PEP
drive to a 35 volt grid tetrode.  You don't need a 2.4 inch toroid for the
transformer, a 1.14 or 0.82 inch will do nicely at this power level.  You could
use any tetrode with a 50 volt peak or less grid drive requirement i.e.
2CX250's 4CX1000.  One or two Russian 4CX800's at about $100 each also look
interesting here.  A 450 ohm grid load and a 9 to 1 broad band transformer
would lower a 50 volt peak grid drive requirement to about 3 watts.

You could cheat and buy the 100 watt brick but that would move you into the
21st century.

John Finner WA4EPI