[Amps] Help - anyone with a large bandwidth connection willing toshare i

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Help - anyone with a large bandwidth connection willing toshare it?
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:32:01 +0000
Hi,
at

http://www.g8wrb.org/

there is a large collection of tube data sheets and applications notes (mainly Eimac, Burle and Svetlan). These total 500MB, but are being expanded all the time. Most of the Eimac data is full data sheets, not available elsewhere on the web. (The summaries at http://www.cpii.com/eimac/catindex.htm are just summaries).

To cut costs for this non-commercial site (there are no adverts at all), this is are hosted on my own Apache web server at home on an ADSL connection, which has a download speed of 512kBIt/s, but upload (needed for web space) of 64-256kit/s (usually closer to the later).

This is not really sufficient for the number of downloads this site attracts. There are currently around 250MB/month, but I suspect this would increase if there is a faster connection. Many people try to copy the who site, and probably give up, or if I notice it, I block their IP.

Is there anyone that has a *reliable* high-bandwidth connection that would be willing to allocate 1GB of disk space for zero cost? The server would need to be UNIX or Linux - I can't be bothered with changing things to work with Windoze. I don't need cgi or anything special. I can do all this on my own server - the problem is serving the big files. Access to the server log files would be nice, but not essential.

I would need ssh (preferable) access to transfer the files. I'd use rsync with ssh to transfer only the updated files once per hour or so, using public-key/private-key so it can be automated with no need to type passwords (this is pretty secure).

Once the 500MB is transfered, the amount of data per day uploaded would be small - with nothing on many days at all. I would rather not use ftp, but might consider it. I guess the downloaded data would be a few GB/month, but can only guess.

I do *not* expect anyone to agree to this indefinitely - if you find you can't suspect the bandwidth, disk space or whatever, I'd remove you from a list of mirrors. If you can offer something similar to above, I'll consider reconfiguring my site to allow it to work.

I need to find out how best to set up mirrors. This is not something I have done before, but I guess it is not too hard. I have root access on the home computers, but would *not* need it on a mirror site.

--
Dr. David Kirkby, G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/ of if you live in Essex http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/