[Amps] Icom 746 Pro / AL-80B relay keying concern

Subject: [Amps] Icom 746 Pro / AL-80B relay keying concern
From: Charlie <ad5th@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:32:55 -0600
Using an ICOM 746 Pro with an AL-80B amp. According to their respective manuals the AL-80B sources +12vdc at 100mA and the 746Pro can sink a max of +16vdc at 500mA.

QUESTION:
Do I need an amplifier keying buffer according to the above specs? My research shows primarily these devices are for new rigs keying older amps. The Icom site recommends an interface for "all non-Icom amplifiers" but in the case of the above specs it appears to me there is already a 4 volt and a 400mA "buffer" of sorts. The demands of the 80B are well inside the capabilities of the 746 Pro. Right?

I'm not trying to save $50 or so but if the specs are right I don't need it. My rig is new and I have about 300 qsos so far which amount to at least 1000+ successful amp keying events.

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH
www.ad5th.com
Live Blues Music