Re: [Amps] RF Chokes

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF Chokes
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:12:16 -0500
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:53:24 -0800, R.Measures <r@somis.org> wrote:

On Jan 31, 2005, at 2:38 AM, Angel Vilaseca wrote:

I am building a 3.5 to 30 MHz amp and I have been following this
interesting thread.

I have a question about the *other* choke in the output circuit, that is
the one that is wired between the antenna terminal and ground. As I
understand it, its role is to short-circuit HV to ground if case the
tank circuit ever becomes hot with HV (plate cap failure). Its value
should be about 2.5 mH 3 A.

Most chokes of this value that are made available today on dealers
catalogs have a ferrite core.

My question is: can a ferrite choke be used, or should it have a
non-magnetic core?

If a ferrite core is used, could the ferrite saturate and generate
harmonics?

Yes. Mu = 125 ferrite rod material begins to saturate at c. 13MHz, so it's a risky business. Powdered-iron has the advantage of not saturating.

How large sould the ferrite core be and which mu should it have?

For less than 13MHz, Mu = 125 is okay.

Can a toroid core be used?

Sure, but split-winding should be used to reduce distributed-C and silicone rubber tape should be used to wrap the core. However, a single-layer solenoid choke is a natural for a HV-RFC.

It is interesting to see that lots of literature have been written about the plate choke and almost none about the output choke. Both chokes are in a circuit with high currents and voltages. Both are wired between a high RF point and RF ground. It seems that the worst problem with the plate choke - resonance - is simply not an issue with the output choke. Why?

Since there is only about 400V-peak across the output choke, much less L is needed and less L means fewer resonance problems. Also, since resistors are virtually resonance-free, a better means of discharging static on the coaxial feedline is a high-ohm MOF resistor across the Load-C. 100k-ohm, 3w works well for 1500w amplifiers. 3 in series are good for another 10db of output.

Also one would expect that the one between the highest impedance point and RF ground (the plate choke) should also have the largest reactance. Not so: abt. 200 uH for the plate choke, 2.5 mH for the output choke.

2.5mH for the output choke is a laugher. 20uH is plenty - even for 1.8MHz. (XL = 500-ohms)

A 22 uH air coil choke can be wound on a 1/2" diameter form with a length of about 2" using about 22 - 26 gage wire. If I recall, it takes about 90 turns, but don't hold me to that.

Any ideas?

Angel Vilaseca HB9SLV