RE: [Amps] please help with weird problem - culprit found

To: "'Floyd Sense'" <fsense@copper.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] please help with weird problem - culprit found
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:20:04 -0500

> From: Floyd Sense
>
> The situation with the receive antenna input is well known
> among Icom 765 users who operate on 160.  KD9SV makes a nice
> little protection unit that can be used with the 765 and any
> other transceiver with a separate receive antenna input.  It
> grounds the receive input on the rig as well as disconnects
> the receive antenna during transmit (controlled by your PTT
> line).  Here's a link for those interested
> http://www.radio-ware.com/products/fes.htm .

Not only is the "problem" well known with the 765 ... it exists
in all of the Icom radios, the Yaesu FT-1000 series radios, and
most other rigs that provide provisions for either an external
receive antenna or transverter.  I have seen feedback and/or
damage related to the use of external receive antennas, SO2R
operation and/or multi-transmitter contest operation since the
late 70's (Drake TR-7, Kenwood TS-830, etc.).

These issues are some that the top SO2R and multi-op station
designers take extreme care to avoid.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK