[Amps] Re: Amps Digest, Vol 26, Issue 6

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Re: Amps Digest, Vol 26, Issue 6
From: John Farber <kg6i@direcway.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:24:09 +0000

At 11:09 AM 2/3/2005 -0500, dan r goddard wrote:
What's the big difference for a person looking to buy an amp?

The Ten Tec Titan 111 is priced about $3600.

The HF 2500 Commander is priced about $3100

The QRO HF 2500DX is priced about $3600

Is there that much difference in these Amps that one should be chosen
over another. All put out about the same power with low drive.

One could get an Ameritron amp that would do the same for $1000 dollars
less.  Is there more quality control in one of these amps over another?

One get's confused in trying to choose what amp to buy.  What say some of
you Old Timers?

I'm only a Medium-timer (56) but... .
I went through about the same thought exercise some 6 years ago. I've built a couple HF amps, bought some HB models and modified them and bought other HB models and used them as-is, and of course, operated many different commercial units. I checked out QST for amp reviews and related articles. I found some amps (QRO, Ameritron) had arcing problems reported. I found some seemed to have a very mixed frequency of repair history (TenTec). One brand had QSK problems that were never fixed despite having the unit returned to the manufacturer for repair (Command). I thought some amps were overkill, and overpriced for what I needed (Alpha 87A, Acom auto-tune versions). In the end I bought an Alpha 99 about 5 years ago when Alpha announced they were about to raise the price form $2795 to a hundred or more bux more. I see the latest price is like $4150 for an Alpha 99! I have been very happy with my 99. I would say to get an amp with a good reputation and even more important, one with extensive protection measures-trips for excess SWR, grid current, arcing, etc. Or build your own-there are certainly many good designs out there, and do make use of the amps reflector for advise before/during your amp project construction phases.
73, John

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.5 - Release Date: 2/3/2005