Fwd: [Amps] Why price difference

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: [Amps] Why price difference
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 01:06:49 -0800

From: R. Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: February 4, 2005 1:04:46 AM PST
To: k2xx@swva.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why price difference

On Feb 3, 2005, at 6:50 PM, Joe Giacobello wrote:

OK, Rick.? I can't argue with that, but it does seem to make a difference in the pileups at times...I guess.

Many years ago, an old timer (W6SDM) told me that to make a noticable difference on HF SSB, it took +10db. A SB-220 puts out about 1.5db more on the SSB tap than on the CW tap. So far, during normal QSB condx on 40m daytime, I have never found anyone who could tell the difference between the two taps on the Rx end. This was why I decided that to have a leg up on 40m combat-zone jammers who were running 10db amplifiers, I needed to build a 20db tetrode-with-handles amplifier.
http://www.somis.org/Building_ugly_amplifiers.html

73, Joe